Faster than Light

The most perilous terrain to most, the Lava Molt springs from the ruined face of an adamas mountain. The force which shattered the mountain is unknown. The Molt flows over trenches and moraines of previous spills, creating rivers and sprays of lava. Deities have begun to build a network of bridges and footpaths from which to view these wonders.
Forum rules
Remember that there is value in keeping certain aspects of the DP secret from players or potential media consumers.

Remember to follow the in-character nature of the forum.

Re: Faster than Light

Postby Steepest Durin » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:12 pm

Your solution is elegant, AIiCE, because it be much easier ta travel to a place where your own domain is strong.

One of th' advantages of th' HELRIDE system is in th' virtual space within. There you could store stuff before transportin' it, includin' your personality, a probe if need be, ect.

Also, th' meta-fiber optic link would be maintained at all times, so you could even exist as an electronic avatar in your own world, borrowin' laws of physics from th' Immortal Facets in th' location immediately around th' connection point. Th' optics could transport anythin' that can be conveyed as information (though of course you'd see a strict limit on locality - ie reach - that you could get around by possessing some existing electronic).

Then, with multiple nodules, you could transmit information at a fairly high capacity through ta HELRIDE central an' out again wherever you pick. Th' transfer would be truly instantaneous in every meaningful way ta any being limited ta 3 spatial dimensions.

At your option, it might be wise ta put some pretty heavy duty firewalls in HELRIDE central. Eitr could spawn a thousand AI's outta this thing if we're not careful. But don't worry, I've got th' resources ta build such a firewall.
Steepest Durin

Statistics: Tier: Steepest God (Crown Tier)
Domains: Crafting 4
Weakness: None
Artifacts: Giant's Gauntlet, Council Portal, Field Projector
Motto: An' I will Endure.

Postby Steepest Durin » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:14 pm

Yerkan, you kin borrow th' Field Projector if you let I take a look at th' code you'll be projectin'.
Steepest Durin

Postby AIiCE » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:56 pm

"Excellent. Let's get building. I can't do this myself, but I want to be in on the creation process so I understand the system fully. Where do we start?"
AIiCE

Statistics: Tier: Hero Deity (Inclusion Tier)
Domains: Electronics 1, Speed 1
Artifacts: The Metaphysical Key, the HELRIDE system

Postby Steepest Durin » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:43 pm

I'll need a bit of assistance Favor-wise. It'll cost I 16 DM Favor in materials an' might (mostly might). This is mainly yer project, so chip in as much as you can. Or if ya give I 0.25 AIiCE Favor, I'll pay it outta I's own pocket.

Step one is spinnin' meta-fiber optic cable, which I can do in part by threadin' a single thick cable through th' Field Projector an' harvestin' th' result. Then we gotta start layin' it, calibratin' th' network, get permissions for a few worlds ta test it on.
Steepest Durin

Postby AIiCE » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:02 pm

I offer up the 16 DM credits for the project.

"What is the Field Projector, exactly? What does it do?"
AIiCE

Postby Yerkan of Elish » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:01 am

"Very well, Durin.

First, some background. The sslug has little hardware as of yet. Therefore, the code will have to interface with the sslug body alone, though those things seem to be pretty malleable. Anyway, we've got little means of input since it doesn't have eyestalks and can't well hear. However, I'm making the code modular so as to allow for the possibility of future integration with other Artifacts, such as sight and hearing capabilities.

Second, since the sslug has so few abilities as of now, it can't well tell whether something's its ally or not. So it gets to be highly passive and essentially inactive 'til then. Its basic job is to act as a shield; to stand where it is and face down an enemy, resisting as best it can. I'm also installing a Crawler within it to look for possible current methods of input and output. Once an interface is located, it will work to reverse engineer drivers for the IO and then slowly increase the sslug's intelligence so that it can identify members of the council using a specific secure conceptual recognition key that will only respond to council members. Upon identifying a council member, it will make small moves to protect that council member.

As of yet, I'm not stupid enough to install any sort of fully-fledged AI. Just a minor little guidance system.
enuma eliš la nabuú šámamu
šapliš ammatum šuma la zakrat
gipara la kiissuru susaa la she'uú
enuma dingir dingir la šupuu manama
Yerkan of Elish

Statistics: Tier: Campaign God (Pavilion Tier)
Domains: Knowledge 3, Poison 3, Illusion 2, Travel 2
Affiliated Worlds: Thrash, Rivenrock
Artifacts: the Loupe Estoc, the Hailstone Mirror, the Gem of Nehalennia
Motto: Always one more world

Postby AIiCE » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:29 am

"Is it finished yet?"
AIiCE

Postby Steepest Durin » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:01 pm

Here ya go, AIiCE!

Th' HELRIDE is all finished, chromed, and calibrated! Some of these fibers aren't quite reliable yet, so make sure you ask someone's permission before usin' it on unfamiliar territory.

Th' firewall is set up an' you can alter th' specs here if you need ta. I also remembered ta add Abrominae warnin' capacitors.

Th' HELRIDE's purpose is ta make visitin' another campaign world Facet easier, allowin' more transport of equipment an' information not directly related ta your domain. It could also be used offensively ta invade a hostile Facet, especially if more deities (like th' Council) decide ta assist in pattern layin'.

I think it might have some use relatin' ta th' rifts, too. Could bypass th' destruction entirely once you got a fiber through safely.
Steepest Durin

Postby AIiCE » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:55 pm

"Thank you for help. I'm sure this system will be very useful."

I will begin setting up a network of nodes in my facet, allowing me jump from place to place within it.
AIiCE

Postby AIiCE » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:29 pm

That, however, is a low priority at the moment. Right now I place nodes in several places around the Gardens, including inside my walking door. Once those are in place, I run some of my own tests to make sure the system is safe, and make the first test jump using the HELRIDE. I'll go from the Lava Molt to the Frozen Ocean.
AIiCE

PreviousNext

Return to The Lava Molt