Rules FAQ

Rules that affect gameplay, your powers as a character, etc.
Forum rules
Remember that there is value in keeping certain aspects of the DP secret from players or potential media consumers.

This particular category allows (requires, in fact) OOC posting.

Rules FAQ

Postby Diamond Master » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:32 pm

Q: I’d like to play a monotheistic god. How does that work?
A: As the sole influencer of your Facet, he (or she) is omnipotent and alone in ruling there. Mortals never have any concept of the Diamond Pantheon, so they would perceive your deity as the sole supernatural power. And rightly so, as the other gods are unlikely to gain access to your Facet, which is a universe unto itself.

Q: My clerics get their powers from a belief, not a god. Can that god ascend to the Diamond?
A: Most Diamond gods have the ability to benefit from belief and worship. As such, your cleric’s fuel makes sense. However, the Diamond is reserved for beings having, at the very least, drive and motivation. Preferably a god in the DP will also have a sense of character and personality about him or her.
Feel free to be an "anthromorphic personification" of some force, perhaps animated and given some semblance of consciousness by the god sponsoring you (perhaps from another campaign altogether). The existence of this avatar would not necessarily change anything about your campaign.

Q: My god is supposed to predate time. How can I reconcile this with the existence of the Diamond Pantheon?
A: The Diamond is not exactly equivalent to spacetime. The Diamond Master created the possibility of existence using pure imagination, and his imagination is not limited by paradox and physics. Also, it is unclear at what point any of the Facets were populated by any sort of existence - there is nothing that says your god can't have come into being before the Facets were populated with Time.
Some Facets are STILL not populated with Time.

Q: What if I don't want to quit playing my mortal character?
A: That's fine. Your character becomes an avatar, independent of the existence of the Diamond Pantheon counterpart. He can be both places at once. However, while you are still under the Diamond Master's scrutiny, you should endeavor to hold the mortal(ish) character to the condition of the Diamond deity character. If the deity version of your character loses an eye, for example, you should lose an eye on the campaign world too.

Q: My existing divine character has more power in her home campaign world than I can afford to stat her up with in the Diamond Pantheon. What can I do?
A: This is expected in many cases. Inclusion in the Diamond Pantheon is an honor fit for a very special subset of all the existing gods. The same goes for the powers a god might have. Owning a single Water domain in the Diamond Pantheon is also a recognition of particular divine potency with water. It is not to say that a character with nothing more than a single Water domain can only influence water – it’s just the most memorable thing about them on a meta-multiversal scale.
You may also choose to elevate certain deities as Culet gods, which are cheaper and represent nonplayer characters. Furthermore, remember that deities (other than yourself) in your home world still exist and may affect Diamond Pantheon characters in certain situations.
Diamond Master
Site Admin

Statistics: Tier: Metagod (Unblemished Tier)
Domains: Creation
Weakness: None

Return to Mechanical Rules